1.24.2014

knitted mood blanket 2014

Guys.....for real....I've found the most wonderful project of all time! My friend Holly over at Crafty Holly Louise posted about this particular project she found on instagram(there's a blog now!) that has taken the crochet world by storm!! It's called the Crochet Mood Blanket 2014. The idea is that you designate a number of colors of yarn (as many as you wish) to moods that you feel. Then you pick a pattern to crochet and each day make 1 block with the color of your mood that day. Awesome right?! Except for that minor detail of the fact that I don't know how to crochet!! Obviously I wasn't going to let that stop me so I decided on knitting my instead. duh. 

Most people are making it in a DK weight so I chose Tosh DK by madelinetosh....because their yarns are my all time fave. A girl that comes into the yarn shop where I work is currently working on a blanket with miter squares and I love the way it looks so I decided that would be my pattern. With those decisions made I went about choosing my moods and colors. Since madelinetosh comes up with such great names for their colors I wanted to base my moods off the color names as much as I could. This is what I came up with and I couldn't be happier!


Last night I went about figuring out my moods for the days in January I missed so I can catch up and today I decided that I needed a yarn for good ol' happiness so I chose Courbet's Green. My squares come out to be about 3 1/4 inches and I want the finished shape to be square as well so I decided 20 rows x 20 rows (with a few extra squares to fill the last row) will do and make a nice humongous blanket! I can't wait to sit down and catch up!! I see a lot of edison bulb and courbet's green happening in the month of January.

It's especially awesome to see the way this blanket idea has taken off. There's a Facebook group for people making it with over 3,000 people in it. Everyone shares their progress, asks for suggestions and really encourages each other. It's really amazing to be a part of. And if you feel inspired and want to join in the fun DO IT! It's not too late and who says you can't start your year today! There really are no rules! I can't wait to share my progress with you all here and see this blanket take shape. It's my first, so it's even more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment