1.02.2015

right place, right time

It’s time to let the cat out of the bag on something that I’m doing come June. The production company that I stage manage for has received a grant to take a show to Luxembourg.

And I get to go with it. 

Is this real life?? Is this my real life??? Before this came to pass I had been getting the itch to travel and really was saddened by the idea that I probably wouldn’t have another opportunity to do so…or at least not so conveniently as I did in college. I have a very bare passport that needs attention but living in NYC doesn’t exactly let a gal budget a trip overseas. So it was a pretty large pipe dream. When I began to hear mentionings of this show for Luxembourg, I didn’t want to assume anything or get my hopes up. It sounded too good to be true. When it became clear that not only was the show happening but that my presence was wanted there, I could hardly believe it. 

Would I be able to afford it?? How do I ask my full-time job for 2 weeks off?? Where the heck is Luxembourg?? Is Luxembourghese a language?? 

Needless to say, there were a couple hurdles I needed to get over before letting myself get swept up in the idea. After a few more conversations about the logistics of the trip and crunching my own numbers, it became clear that I would be able to afford it. When I talked to my boss about the time away not only did she say yes but she practically demanded that I go. In her words “If you had asked for any other reason I’d have to think about it, but this is what you’re meant to do with your life. This is why you moved here. You have to go.” {How I ever became so blessed, I’ll never know} A little Google research led me to learn that Luxembourg is a small country nestled in the middle of Belgium, Germany, and France and that Luxembourghese is not a word. However, Luxembourgish IS a word and it’s one of the languages spoken there, along with French and German.  

I’ve been pinching myself for weeks and will continue doing so until June. I never would have imagined that this theatre thing would work out so well AND bring me an opportunity like this. It only shows me how moving to this city was exactly what I was supposed to do with my life.

1 comment: