5.02.2011

justice is served?

I don't need much introduction into this post. Most everyone knows that last night, the death of Osama Bin Laden was announced. As I lay in bed and watched the news unfold and President Obama address the nation, I couldn't help but feel a sense of uneasiness about the whole thing. Now, let me preface things with the facts that 1) I'm not overly political and 2) this is just my opinion. Do I believe that Osama was responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans? Yes. Do I believe that he needed to be stopped? Of course. But when did America appoint itself judge and jury? Are we living in ancient Babylon under Hammurabi's Code? Does killing Osama Bin Laden rebuild the twin towers or bring back the people who died? No, we are not, and it does not. Again, I don't know the details of how these things really work, but there's just a part of me that feels like there could have been another answer.
To add to my unease, every couple of minutes I see news feeds on every little detail of what happened. From the idea of there being a woman used as a human shield to "Geronimo" being the code word for the operation. I don't know why the world needs to know these things. Isn't it enough to know that he's dead? Maybe it's just me. I don't feel less American for feeling this way though.
And what about the backlash from these actions? I can't help but feel like this is just the beginning of a downward spiral. Just because their leader has died doesn't necessarily mean that Al-Qaeda is going to die with him. If anything you would think that this would only fuel them to continue and seek some kind of revenge. I don't see any way that things would just "go away" now that Osama is out of the picture.
I guess time will tell. I'm glad to know that Osama Bin Laden will no longer be a threat to my country. I pray that this will bring soldiers home. I'm hopeful that this will allow the leaders of our country to focus on other important issues like poverty, slavery, and our debt.  God Bless America.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful words my dear. such beautiful, beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete