1.18.2011

social networking-1, romance-0

I don't know if it's my age, the way I was raised, or just where I am in my life, but lately I am entirely over the idea of people hiding behind things like facebook, IM, and text. In particular, people who are romantically interested in someone. With the invention of these networking devices it became easy for people to not have face-to-face interactions and hide behind their computer. Now I'm not trying to point any fingers because I've done it too. But I find myself being more annoyed by it now.A couple months ago the strangest thing happened. It seemed like once a week a guy came out of the wood work and was interested in ME (weird in the first place because I wasn't really putting myself out there. at all). Now of course all this attention was flattering and part of me enjoyed it but I couldn't help being bothered by the fact that ALL of them went about their "smooth moves" on facebook! One of them is someone I see on a fairly regular basis whom I've know for years. Since I moved home whenever we were around each other, he wouldn't even speak to me! Now, knowing him, I do know that he is a very shy guy but still, how are you going to talk to my mom (who was next to me!) and not say hello and then send me a facebook message overflowing with your emotions. I'm not Medusa! You will NOT turn into stone if you look at my eyes!
I can recall two other times where something similar happened, only those two skipped the message all together and used chat or just posted their number on my wall! All I can do is wonder: Is this how relationships are started now? Am I going to start my next relationship with my computer and not a person? I don't think I'm okay with that. I think people should have the guts to look someone in the eye and ask them a question. "Will you go out with me sometime? Can I call you? Will you be my significant other?" I can't remember the last time I HEARD any of those questions and I don't think I'm the only one.
When did rejection become something so terrifying that people can't just talk to each other? The worst answer one can get is a "no". So what! It's really not the end of the world. I intend on being more present and enjoying peoples faces more; hearing voices more. Try it! It can only enrich the relationships you have.

1 comment:

  1. Guys like this have always been around, but before the Internet they would have either a)not ever spoken to you, or b) be the kind of assholes that actually use pick-up lines in a bar.

    ReplyDelete