1.17.2012

a Texas wedding

What a weekend. Phew. Thursday I got on a plane and headed south, to Dallas, Texas. Why Dallas you say? Well let me tell you...

Back in December 2010, my friend Justin (aka Bama, aka Booger, aka Southern Comfort) came to visit me all the way from Alabama! It was a glorious visit and we knew we couldn't let too much time go by before we got together again. A few months ago he and I were talking randomly about me wanting to take some kind of vacation and the possibilities of that being to Alabama for a visit. Out of the blue Justin said "hey, why don't you be my date to my brother's wedding in January"? It took me all of 3 seconds to decide and say "Let's do it"! A few weeks and a plane ride later and I was in Dallas ready for a great weekend.

I don't think the word 'great' can really begin to do it justice though. Not only was it so fulfilling to spend time with Justin, but his family is one of the warmest I've ever had to pleasure of knowing. There are those families who you know love each other but it's more of an unspoken, not overly expressed type of love. Well Justin's family is NOT that type of family. Just being in the same room with this group you can feel the love and pure joy that they share by being together. It was incredible and mildly addictive. And the best part? You don't even have to be related to get in on it. They are so welcoming of everyone, I felt like I've been a part of them for years.

And the wedding itself, so beautiful and perfect. I've seen plenty of weddings from working at the hotel and none of them have compared to this one. The bride was gorgeous, the flowers beautiful, and the reception was detailed to the T. But more important than all of that was the couple themselves. I've never seen two people more in love and truly prefect for each other. It was really awesome to be a part of and I felt so so honored to be there. If I ever find a man that looks at me the way the groom looked at his bride, it'll be a done deal.

Justin was a phenomenal best man. I've know him for going on 6 years now and I've been able to sit back and watch this person grow and change and become a truly great version of himself and this weekend only solidified that. He was absolutely in his element and it was awesome to watch. Between his best man speech, that almost had me in tears, and his overall sense of responsibility over getting people organized and ready, he was truly a force to be reckoned with. It was an astounding thing to see. I'm truly blessed to have him in my life and as one of my dearest friends.

To add to all this fun I was also able to spend some time with my own family! My aunt and uncle have lived in Dallas for about 30 years now so we don't get to see each other as often as my other relatives. Obviously I wasn't going to go all the way to Texas without spending time with them as well. They were a huge help to getting me around to and from the airport as well. How fortunate I am. Thursday night my uncle and I went out for pizza and beers. It was great. We talked about all sorts of things and he bestowed much Uncle-ly advise on me. Then on Sunday he picked me up from the hotel and I spent the day at their house just lounging, watching football, and drinking wine. It was glorious.

How did I get so blessed?? Before this month I hadn't taken a vacation in 2 years and I've already taken 2 in 2012!! Both were equally crazy and restoring all at the same time. I really needed a break and to get away for a bit. And now, being back home, I feel so rejuvenated and ready to get back to a normal schedule and work. I can't wait to get back into the gym regularly and watch my Tuesday night shows with my besties and go to Wednesday night trivia and make some regular paychecks!

SO, a huge THANK YOU to my Southern Comfort and his entire family!! You're cheaper fun than the alcohol and there's no hangover either! I love you to death and I can't wait until we are reunited again. And congrats to the happy couple!! I only dream of someday having the same love that you two share.

Hooray to vacation and hooray to returning to a normal schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment